What Type of Doctor is Best for Runners?

Professional and recreational runners alike will inevitably experience the muscle fatigue, aches and pains, and occasional injuries that are inherent to the sport. Pain and injuries are very diverse and can run the gamut from shin splints to a torn meniscus. Getting sidelined with an injury can be incredibly disappointing, but with a good training and recovery plan, runners of all kinds can usually heal and bounce back from an injury. The most important aspect of any training plan is to learn to listen to the body and know when to seek professional help. Finding the right doctor to treat injuries as they arise should be a priority for every runner.

Dr. Steven Meier, sports medicine and orthopedic surgeon in Beverly Hills at Meier Orthopedic Sports Medicine, frequently treats both professional and recreational athletes and runners for a variety of sports related injuries.

Orthopedic Surgeon Beverly Hills

Which Doctor Should You Call, and When?

Sports Medicine

A sports medicine doctor is like a general practitioner for athletes. They’re a great place to start for symptoms like fatigue, and can perform diagnostic tests and blood work to determine anything from vitamin deficiencies to referrals to a specialist.

Click here to learn more about knee pain and the potential causes and treatments.


Orthopedists are the one stop shop for muscle, bone, tendon and ligament pain, tears, and injuries. Any recurring pain that’s triggered after a run would warrant a visit to an orthopedist.


Podiatrists specialize in the biomechanics of the feet and ankles, and perform a gait analysis to determine issues like over-pronation. If necessary, podiatrists can prescribe orthotics to help with proper alignment.

Physical Therapist

Physical therapists perform rehabilitation for injuries.


Chiropractors can also recommend stretches and exercises for gait and alignment issues, and specialize in back pain and injuries.

To learn more, please visit www.mosm.com.

Next, read our blog, Fix Your Ears With Otoplasty.